White Privilege in Birth (Work) 101

Interested in taking this class?

White Privilege in Birth (Work) 101 is an “entry-level” class for anyone involved in birth work to get a basic understanding of the terminology, concepts, and impacts of race in birth.  It is presented by Heather Thompson, PhD, deputy director of Elephant Circle, and hosted by Cristen Pascucci for Birth Monopoly’s Doula Power.

The class is open and welcoming to all identities. It is primarily white people talking to white people–covering a definition of terms; how systemic oppression operates; a historical review of race and reproduction in the U.S.; the impact of race on birth outcomes; white privilege in birthwork; and answers to the question, “What can I do?”

For birth workers looking to go further with open and honest discussion about this topic, the class is included in the Doula Power membership, where you can interact directly with Cristen, Dr. Thompson, and other group members in a structured, positive, non-judgmental space.  There are options below for the class only and for the Doula Power membership, which includes the class.

Watch the first few minutes below!

I literally need to shout from the rooftops that Cristen’s group called “Birth Monopoly Doula Power” is magical and amazing and life sustaining right now as we all face the wound of racism in the birth world head on.

If you are not a member of this group, but you are ready to do your work in a supportive, honest environment, you MUST join. Immediately. Right now. Beat down the door. Get inside. You will not regret it.

– Ravae S.M. Sinclair, JD, CD(DONA), CLC, LCCE (Doula Power member)

Right now I am really sitting with the fact that I am a racist. And letting that soak in.

– Doula Power Member, following this class and discussion

Forever access to the class

– Presented by Heather Thompson, PhD, deputy director of Elephant Circle, and hosted by Cristen Pascucci for Birth Monopoly’s Doula Power

– Two-hour pre-recorded video in two parts, which you may watch or listen to at any time on computer or mobile device

Part 1 (~45 minutes):
Welcome & orientation
Definition of terms
How systemic oppression operates
Historical review of race in America

Part 2 (~80 minutes):
Historical review of race and reproduction
Impact of race on birth outcomes
White privilege in birthwork
“What can I do?”

– Includes two handouts and links to resources

* NOW OPEN! *

$34 for the class only

Doula Power Membership, including:
Classes: 3 Things Every Parent Needs to Know About Hospital Birth, Horizontal Violence, The Maternity Care System of Oppression (with Rebecca Dekker, PhD, RN, APRN), White Privilege in Birth (Work) 101 with Heather Thompson, PhD
Downloadable handouts and resources

Structured, gentle, non-judgmental group discussion

Group support for secondary trauma

Forever access to the “White Privilege” class

– Presented by Heather Thompson, PhD, deputy director of Elephant Circle, and hosted by Cristen Pascucci for Birth Monopoly’s Doula Power

– Two-hour pre-recorded video in two parts, which you may watch or listen to at any time on computer or mobile device

Part 1 (~45 minutes):
Welcome & orientation
Definition of terms
How systemic oppression operates
Historical review of race in America

Part 2 (~80 minutes):
Historical review of race and reproduction
Impact of race on birth outcomes
White privilege in birthwork
“What can I do?”

– Includes two handouts and links to resources